ATTIC INSULATION REMOVAL
WHEN TO REMOVE ATTIC INSULATION
REMOVING ATTIC INSULATION
Many homeowners will install attic insulation and forget about it as the attic is rarely visited or used. However, it is important to know when to remove attic insulation if needed. This could be, for example, when a home renovation is needed, or better insulation has to be installed. It is crucial to know when to remove the insulation, and when the attic insulation has become a problem to the structure of the house or disrupting the lifestyle of the residents.
When To Remove Attic Insulation
- Water Damage: Water from a leaking roof getting into the attic insulation encourages mold and mildew growth. This not only damages the insulation but also becomes a health hazard to the people in the house. Insulation damaged by water is best removed by a professional.
- Smoke Damage: If the house has suffered fire damage, smoke will accumulate in the attic and infiltrate the insulation. Even where the insulation remains untouched by the fire the smoke will eventually get trapped in the insulation. This presents a lingering smoke odor problem that makes the house uncomfortable. Only attic insulation removal can eliminate this odor problem.
- Pest & Vermin Infestation: It is difficult to get rid of pests, rodents and other vermin that takes habitat in the attic insulation. Even when the infestation is cleared using pesticides and other pest removal methods, there remains dander and droppings that are harmful allergens. There is also the danger of lingering infestation where the pesticides have not reached. Insulation removal is the best guarantee of complete eradication of the infestation.
- Mold: It is difficult to get rid of a mold and mildew infestation in the attic without removing the insulation. This is because the blasting and brushing used can disperse mold spores into the insulation and set off a new infestation. Insulation removal becomes necessary when eradicating mold and mildew.
- Asbestos/ Vermiculite Removal: Some older houses had vermiculite based insulation that contained asbestos. Asbestos has been proven to be dangerous for human health and has been linked to cancer. Vermiculite-based insulation should be removed. This is usually handled by experts with the right tools, equipment, and skills.
- Structural Renovation or Electrical Work: Structural work on the roof and ceiling, and upgrading or re-doing of electrical wiring in the ceiling and attic make it necessary to remove the insulation. However, if the insulation is not damaged, it can be replaced.
4 Weather Insulation & Roofing For Insulation Removal
It is highly advisable to work with an expert to assess the insulation and make a recommendation for removal or replacement. It is not advisable to try removing attic insulation by yourself if you don’t have the skills and experience to do it properly. It is hard and could expose you to harmful compounds. Better to have it handled by experts. 4 Weather Insulation & Roofing is a professional insulation contractor, and we provide professional insulation removal and insulation replacement services in Calgary and surrounding areas.