BENEFITS OF ATTIC INSULATION
WHY IS ATTIC INSULATION IMPORTANT?
Attic insulation is a home improvement project that any homeowner should consider a top priority. It has big benefits in raising comfort levels in a house as well as drastically cutting down power bills. The roof is the most exposed part of a house. As such it conducts both heat and cold into the rooms below.
In hot weather, a roof without insulation will transfer heat to the rooms below making the home hotter than needed. When temperatures drop at night this hot air condenses and causes moisture problems such as mold.
In cold weather, the warmer air from the house melts the snow on the roof, which can lead to damming. The warmer air also condenses on the lower side of the roof, increasing the risk of mold infestation.
Insulating the attic is meant to make it more resistant to heat transfer. When its cold, the insulation ensures that the heat from the rooms below is not lost through the roof. When it is hot, the insulation prevents the roof from heating the rooms below.
Attic insulation should be supplemented with proper ventilation to ensure that air keeps circulating properly. This prevents moisture problems and keeps air in the house fresh and clean. The ventilation is designed to:
- Allow fresh cool air in through the vents at the eaves or soffit
- Exhaust hot stale air through exhaust vents
There are different types of insulation materials, each with its installation advantages and disadvantages. These materials also have different heat transfer resistance levels. Some of the commonly used insulation materials include;
Why should you prioritize attic insulation?
- Energy efficiency – Higher temperature swings translate into higher workloads for your temperature control systems. If it gets too hot, you spend energy running the coolers. If it is too hot you spend more energy heating up the place. Insulation keeps temperatures stable.
- Roof integrity – High temperatures in the roof structure causes shingles and beams to warp and bend. This deteriorates the roof’s structure at a fast rate. Insulation prevents this heat buildup and keeps the roof structurally sound.
- Moisture management – Houses without insulation suffer from moisture buildup which happens when hot air in the house condenses on the walls, ceiling and under the roof. Insulation ensures that the air remains at levels that do not encourage condensation. This prevents problems such as mold infestation.
- Better home value – A home with an insulated attic is more attractive to energy-efficient conscious buyers and fetches more.
Would you like an assessment on your home’s energy efficiency and/or your attic insulation and ventilation system? Contact 4 Weather Insulation & Roofing for a free consultation.