HOW TO INSTALL ASPHALT SHINGLES FOR THE BEST RESULTS
4 WEATHER IS CALGARY'S ASPHALT ROOFING EXPERTS
Shingles are probably the most commonly used roofing material for residential homes in Calgary & area. Asphalt shingles are versatile, as the product appeals to many different roofing designs. The ease of asphalt shingle installation depends on the roof design as well as the pitch of the roof. What do the experts recommend when installing asphalt shingles to do it like a pro, for the best results?
- Work starting on the lower left corner working upwards and to the right
- Install roof flashing in valleys, chimneys and roof penetrations to prevent roof leaks. Existing flashing should be inspected for leaks
- Use shingles from the same bundle until they are finished before using another bundle to ensure color consistency
- Install asphalt shingles over plywood or OSB roof deck
- Avoid nailing too close to the centerline by using full-size shingles when going into a closed valley. Avoid using shingles that are 4″ or shorter at the rakes or in the valley.
- Use 1-3/4″ to 2″ long nails on the ridge and attach ridge cap shingles with two nails each. Galvanized steel nails offer the best corrosion resistance.
- Shingles in a high wind area should attached with 6 nails but a minimum of four nails per shingle should be used in any place.
- Follow the nailing line when placing nails. Placing them too high makes the shingle vulnerable to wind lift while nailing too low weakens the nail.
- All fasteners should penetrate at least 3 ⁄4″ into the wood deck or completely through the sheathing.
- If installing shingles over existing ones, do not go more than two layers deep. If this is necessary, ensure that waterproof underlayment is installed.
- Use aluminum flashings for asphalt shingles with a recommended thickness of at 0.019” thick.
- The recommended width of ice and water barrier is 24″ wide installed in the entire length of the valley.
- Work easier with panels by cutting them to length and notching where they fit into the valley section. Install shingle valley caps quickly by snapping or sliding into place.
- Save costs on tabs by using the tabs that you cut off starter shingles for use as a vertical front wall base flashing cover.
- Use shingles with a reinforced nailing strip area. The reinforced strips will increase wind uplift resistance up to 110 mph. To have optimal wind resistance use a minimum of four No. 9 1-1/2” hex head screws when shingles are installed in high wind areas.
- Always store shingles properly away from harsh weather. Keep them away from heat sources like radiators and steam pipes as well.
While it may save you money in the short-term, be sure to contact an expert asphalt roofing contractor to ensure that your home is safe from an improper installation.